All Apps are given ratings from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the best. I take a weighted average of those ratings to give the app its overall rating. I review and rate Apps using the following criteria:
- User-Friendliness – Whether the App is easy or difficult to use and navigate upon first impression.
- Functionality – Whether the App would be easy to use and add to productivity on a daily basis.
- Aesthetics – How the App looks, specifically, whether its appearance enhances or detracts from the experience of using it.
- Performance – Whether the App is stable or crashes all the time or freezes up?
- Honesty – Arguably the most important aspect, whether the App functions as advertised.
The overall ratings mean:
- 5 Stars – Easy to understand, highly functional, good-looking, fast and responsive, lives up to its claims. In other words, perfect.
- 4 Stars – A highly functional and well-designed app that has perhaps a few things missing or overlooked. Still a great app, just unpolished.
- 3 Stars – Functional App, but doesn’t do anything that can’t be done better (or cheaper) by something else. Probably also has some interface issues, but is largely stable and workable, just run-of-the-mill.
- 2 Stars – This App will launch. The odds of it doing anything more complicated than starting up, however, are not good.
- 1 Star – Technical difficulties. Either crashes, fails to launch, or otherwise damages the iPad experience. Avoid.
All of my reviews are done on the 4th Generation iPad that is about five months old. I can’t vouch for the functionality of something on an iPhone, an iPad Mini, an iPod Touch, older generation iPad, or a steam-powered spaceship. If you agree or disagree with any particular rating, please feel free to leave a well-reasoned comment, or send me an email: editor[at]iPad4Life.net .